My father used to say, "College teaches you what you don't know". I loved taking courses in subjects I'd never heard of before.We didn't declare a major until junior year and a degree pretty much guaranteed us a job after graduation. Things are different today.
What's changed in the last 20 years?
- Today a college education often takes more than 4 years to achieve
- Colleges are beginning to admit students by major or require them to declare one by sophomore year
- Many students choose a major without having a career plan
- It’s now imperative that your degree relates to the jobs you apply for
- Tuition of US 4-yr public institutions has risen 128% since 1980
- Companies now expect internship or related work experience
What does this mean for you?
There are no guarantees in life BUT, if you reflect upon your interests, know about careers & hiring trends, you'll be able to choose a career direction and a major you're excited about. You'll be able to make smart choices about the college, course selection and major that feels right for you.
If you're unsure of what to do after high school, college bound or already in college, Your Career Direction can help you! We will:
- Assess your interests and work preferences
- Introduce new career paths, jobs and educational options
- Research colleges in depth for program accreditation, retention rate, industry reputation, etc.
- Tap into our professional network and introduce you to companies and mentors
- Arrange internship and informational interviews for you
- Assist with the college application and decision process, resume, essays, etc.
- Coach business etiquette, innovative job search and follow-up techniques
- Teach you how to market yourself effectively
We live in a global economy full of opportunity. You can find your passion and live it. Your Career Direction will give you the tools to get the best education, gain experience and prepare you for getting started on your career. Click here to learn how.